Hand Held problems

Discussions About Hand held Injectors
webejebe
Light Smoker

Hand Held problems

Postby webejebe » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:01 am

I started RYO about 4 months ago. I started out at a RYO store with a commercial injector that made a carton in 8 minutes. About a month after I joined the State of Wisconsin shut them down which forced me to use a hand injector. I have had mixed results, at first, the tobacco would stick in the nozzle and pull out about a 1/4 inch of the tobacco. Pushing the stick out with a pen cap ended that. Now I have problems getting enough tobacco to the filter end of the stick. Also problems consistently portioning enough or too much tobacco. I am using a Gambler Premium Tube Cut injector with gambler tubes and tobacco. Any advise on getting a more consistent cigarette? Budget is tight and I don't want to invest in a crank or electric model.

DougE
Site Admin

Re: Hand Held problems

Postby DougE » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:42 pm

First off, make sure you are loading the injector right.

You want to load the corners with tobacco first, and then load the middle.

If you are loading it right, then your tobacco may be too wet or too dry ...... see proper humidity for tobacco thread for more information on this.

Getting the right amount of tobacco per stick is something that comes with practice and you have to get the hang of doing it no matter what type of injector you use. Crank and electric injectors aren't magical devices that spit out perfect sticks no matter what the operator does, rules for proper tobacco moisture level, proper loading, and loading the right amount of tobacco still apply. I can produce sticks with a hand held that are just as good as what I can do with my TOM. A crank machine makes the job easier, but doesn't really make any better of a stick than one can make with a hand held.
When they idiot proof something, they always build a better idiot.

mgzinia
Tobacco Tax Survivalist

Re: Hand Held problems

Postby mgzinia » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:13 am

That is all great advice, Doug. also, there are such variables as how easy the thing is to get jammed up. On a scale of 1 to 10, the injector in the photo is about a 5 in my book,and I have 6 years experience with 99% of it being hand held.
Ido actually own one like it but blue and yellow, (top) and I prefer the old mascotte hh, which WAS the AK47 of injectors. It never jammed, and it made 17000 sticks before it would break. Seriously, you could literally plan how many to order for a lifetime based on this number!
Then Gizeh, in a move I can only assume was to prove Hitler was not the cruelest German, changed their design to something way inferior, although it is still about a 7 or an eight, they literally cannot be saving more than a dime a dozen with this new design, and I would be thrilled to pay the difference to get that 10+ supreme quality, forgiving, faster injector back. I believe there still may be some clones of the macotte hh on the market, and will probably stock up.

Return to “Hand held Injectors”