You realize how bad you have been settling ....

For General Discussions on RYO/MYO
DougE
Site Admin

You realize how bad you have been settling ....

Postby DougE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 pm

When a pouch of Top Original cigarette tobacco tastes good to you. Seriously. I picked up a pouch of Top last week just for the hell of it ......... back when RYO was all cigarette tobacco, this stuff would have been a last resort for me. Anyhow, I found it to be as good, or maybe even a little better than the TGS, Ohm, or Smokin' G I usually smoke :shock:
When they idiot proof something, they always build a better idiot.

wayne-n-nc
Medium Smoker

Re: You realize how bad you have been settling ....

Postby wayne-n-nc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Hmm..I've used Top, (the small pouches) a few times and have no problem with it...have a vague memory of using a full sized bag of it at least once...it's certainly not terrible, at least not to me..

(Gee thanks Doug, that's exactly what I need...more things to try out or worry about...) :(
Football season is here! Go Panthers! Keep pounding! 2017 record to date: 2-0!

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:53 pm

I think it's a case of ignorance being bliss. If you weren't on the RYO scene before 2009, you really don't know what you are missing. As much as I still like D&R tobacco, what they sell today as pipe tobacco pales in comparison to what they sold as cigarette tobacco. With D&R, the blends haven't changed much beyond the cut size, as far as I can tell, but the wider cut changes the burn rate. The shags (3 Sails, Ryback) are still the same, but the rest of their stuff isn't at all what it once was.

CTsmoker
administration team member

Postby CTsmoker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:12 am

So, you figured out what i figured out a couple years ago? Better late than never, i guess? :pfft:

Start trying some 100's, or if you can actually find them, El Rey Blue tubes. It might make the pipe crap a bit more palatable.

At the moment, i'm doing 4 Aces Turk Blend with a pinch of 1839 Smooth stuffed in a Double Diamond Gold 100. It's decent enough. But i long for the old days when i used Rave Light Natural cig tobacco with a pinch of halfzware stuffed in a FF tube. Yum. :cry:

BTW, your last resort would have been Midnight Special. :lol:

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 am

I don't generally smoke much actual cigarette tobacco other than an occasional pouch of Stokkebye and Bugler now and then. The Top is the first US/American type cigarette tobacco I've had in ages. Bugler is sort of in that class, but it has more Turkish than the usual American blends, so it always was a little different.

Ok, so you're right about the Midnight Special, but Top wasn't much above it.

CTsmoker

Postby CTsmoker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 am

DougE wrote:I don't generally smoke much actual cigarette tobacco other than an occasional pouch of Stokkebye and Bugler now and then. The Top is the first US/American type cigarette tobacco I've had in ages. Bugler is sort of in that class, but it has more Turkish than the usual American blends, so it always was a little different.

Ok, so you're right about the Midnight Special, but Top wasn't much above it.

Surprisingly, Zig-Zag still seems to be basically like it was, pre-SCHIP. It might be worth grabbing a pouch if you want an "American" blend.

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 am

I'd actually be willing to pay the damn tax on a pound of cigarette tobacco now and then. Problem is, there aren't any worth dropping that kind of change on.

I may have to revisit the whole leaf thing. If I can just get the Burley to come out the way I want it to taste, I'd be pretty well set.

CTsmoker

Postby CTsmoker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm

DougE wrote:I'd actually be willing to pay the damn tax on a pound of cigarette tobacco now and then. Problem is, there aren't any worth dropping that kind of change on.

I may have to revisit the whole leaf thing. If I can just get the Burley to come out the way I want it to taste, I'd be pretty well set.

Yeah, that whole leaf Burley is a bitch to work. Of course, there's nothing stopping us from blending some pipe stuff with the WL. Maybe one day i'll get off my lazy ass and drive over to Leaf Only and get some smooth VA. I know it would work better than the 1839 smooth that i'm blending with 4A-TB pipe. But if i get the smooth VA, then i'm going to want to get the Yenidje. And then i'm going to want to get the Powermatic S shredder...etc....etc....etc. :)

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 pm

CTsmoker wrote:
DougE wrote:I'd actually be willing to pay the damn tax on a pound of cigarette tobacco now and then. Problem is, there aren't any worth dropping that kind of change on.

Yeah, that whole leaf Burley is a bitch to work. Of course, there's nothing stopping us from blending some pipe stuff with the WL.

I'd still like to get the Burley figured out so I have a fairly consistent Burley component to work with. Blending with pipe tobacco is an option for now, but there's no telling what pipe stuff we will have to blend with after this FDA stuff shakes out. My hope is that the courts throw the whole thing out, but I'm not counting on it.

Maybe one day i'll get off my lazy ass and drive over to Leaf Only and get some smooth VA. I know it would work better than the 1839 smooth that i'm blending with 4A-TB pipe. But if i get the smooth VA, then i'm going to want to get the Yenidje. And then i'm going to want to get the Powermatic S shredder...etc....etc....etc. :)

I was hoping the price on the Powermatic S would come down some, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. With my luck, just as soon as I drop all that money on one, some government entity will decide that leaf is actually tobacco and needs to be taxed as such. :roll: I suppose there's still GYO.

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm arranging to buy some leaf from forum member bigbonner. He doesn't live far from me, so I may as well support the local economy if I'm going to give this another try.

Return to “General RYO/MYO Discussion”