lighter flints

For the Discussion of Lighters, Cases and Other Essential RYO Accessories
wayne-n-nc
Medium Smoker

lighter flints

Postby wayne-n-nc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Just wondering...

I'm a long time Zippo man, been using Zippos for 40 years or more I suppose...but to me, it seems to me that the flints you buy for them seem to be of much poorer quality than they used to be...say back in the late 60s or 70s....I'll freely admit this may be an old man remembering 'that things ain't as good as they used to be' (when it is the memory that is faulty, not the flints) but it is a distinct impression I have.

Any other 'old style' lighter users out there with the same impression?
Football season is here! Go Panthers! Keep pounding! 2017 record to date: 2-0!

DougE
Site Admin

Re: lighter flints

Postby DougE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Yea, I noticed that too. The Zippo brand flints seem to hold up better than the cheaper ones, but I don't think any of them last as long as they used to. Reminds me, I need to change the flint in my zippo .... it's worn down to the point where I have to turn the wheel backwards a tad to get it to work :lol:
When they idiot proof something, they always build a better idiot.

Bobbers
Medium Smoker

Postby Bobbers » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:51 pm

I agree with you, Wayne, and I've been using a Zippo for 50 years. The flints don't seem quite as, I dunno, "dense" or hard as they once did?

I long ago started using naptha in bulk for lighter fluid but I guess we're stuck with the flint situation.

Ah well, if that's my major problem for July I guess it's a good month...lol.

CTsmoker
administration team member

Postby CTsmoker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 pm

They probably are lower quality. But the price has gone down on them. Add in the extra cost for the spinning wheel thing they use now, and we're probably coming out ahead of the game, cost wise.

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:28 am

Bobbers wrote:I agree with you, Wayne, and I've been using a Zippo for 50 years. The flints don't seem quite as, I dunno, "dense" or hard as they once did?

I long ago started using naptha in bulk for lighter fluid but I guess we're stuck with the flint situation.

I used Coleman lantern fuel in mine for years back when I had a lantern that ran on it since I was buying it anyhow. The lantern I have now runs on regular unleaded so I went back to buying the regular fluid. And that leads me to another zippo bitch, why do mine only last a couple days on a fill up? Used to, I'd get a week or so. Is it something different with the fluid, or did zippo cheap out on the packing?

CTsmoker
administration team member

Postby CTsmoker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 am

DougE wrote:
Bobbers wrote:I agree with you, Wayne, and I've been using a Zippo for 50 years. The flints don't seem quite as, I dunno, "dense" or hard as they once did?

I used Coleman lantern fuel in mine for years back when I had a lantern that ran on it since I was buying it anyhow. The lantern I have now runs on regular unleaded so I went back to buying the regular fluid. And that leads me to another zippo bitch, why do mine only last a couple days on a fill up? Used to, I'd get a week or so. Is it something different with the fluid, or did zippo cheap out on the packing?

You could pull it out and repack with cotton balls.

wayne-n-nc
Medium Smoker

Postby wayne-n-nc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm

CTsmoker wrote:
DougE wrote:

You know, I HAVE noticed that, but I always assumed it was due to the 'whatever-it-is' holding the fluid got more packed and therefore denser and therefore less absorbent as it aged...just a theory though...and as many could tell you..I'm a well known crackpot..

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Part of it may be moisture building up in the packing. I have noticed that if I rotate my lighters out and let the one I've been using dry out completely, they do a bit better, but I still don't think they last as long as they used to.

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 pm

CTsmoker wrote:
DougE wrote:

Cotton balls work, but the rayon packing that comes in them is supposed to hold more fluid than cotton.

wayne-n-nc
Medium Smoker

Postby wayne-n-nc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 pm

DougE wrote:Yea, I noticed that too. The Zippo brand flints seem to hold up better than the cheaper ones, but I don't think any of them last as long as they used to. Reminds me, I need to change the flint in my zippo .... it's worn down to the point where I have to turn the wheel backwards a tad to get it to work :lol:

And in fact, I have better luck with Ronson flints than Zippo ones, but of course, Ronson are getting tougher to find...

Return to “RYO Accessories”