Heads Up on Replacement Springs

For Posting About Problems You Are Having With Your Crank Style Machines.
DougE
Site Admin

Heads Up on Replacement Springs

Postby DougE » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:56 pm

I've bent a new hook on the crank return spring for my TOM with handle at least three times, so when it broke again yesterday, I decided it was time to hunt a new one. I went down to my local Ace Hardware store this afternoon and matched up an almost exact replacement.

The supplier of the spring is Serv-A-Lite and the part number is 97U and should be available at most Ace Hardware stores. You might also find them at stores like Lowes and Home Depot.

I'm pretty sure the same spring will work on supermatics and other similar crank machines.

I've never had to replace a gripper spring yet, but it's quite possible they have one that will replace it as well.

ETA: The spring cost me $1.62 including tax.
When they idiot proof something, they always build a better idiot.

GaryInTex
Light Smoker

Re: Heads Up on Replacement Springs

Postby GaryInTex » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:38 am

I've had to replace mine 3 times now. I get mine at the local auto parts. The one they have that is the right diameter and spring strength is a 1/2" to long but I just cut at the correct lenght and twist a hook in the end of it.

DougE
Site Admin

Postby DougE » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:40 am

GaryInTex wrote:I've had to replace mine 3 times now. I get mine at the local auto parts. The one they have that is the right diameter and spring strength is a 1/2" to long but I just cut at the correct lenght and twist a hook in the end of it.

The length on the one I posted is about an exact match, but it may be a tad stiffer than the stock spring. It works great as a replacement at any rate.
When they idiot proof something, they always build a better idiot.

nailed_nailer
Light Smoker

Postby nailed_nailer » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Great info Doug, Thanks.

Looks like a trip to the Ace hardware store is on order tomorrow. :-)

I was there yesterday for $100.00 worth of West Systems epoxy and filler for a wood project I have in progress.

I love my TOM and I have a new in box spare on the shelf. But it would be nice to have a spare spring on hand JIC.

--Nailer---
Good Smoke and Kentucky Bourbon make life better

genesun56
Light Smoker

Postby genesun56 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:34 am

I've found that by stretching the stock spring until it just barely returns the injector arm stops breakage, triples machine life and makes operation at least twice as easy. Many people report leaving the spring off works great. In my case it did a much better job injecting but made returning the arm feel notchy or rough.
Wherever you go, There you are!

Return to “Cranker Clinic”