SHARGIO Tubes

For Discussions on the Various Tubes Available

Re: SHARGIO Tubes

Postby meflin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm using the light kings and I can't tell the difference myself. YMMV.

The bad news is the 100's are out of stock, except 200 count menthol's. The web sight has a header saying. "A shortage of 100mm paper is preventing the 100mm Shargio tubes from being manufactured. The 100mm legnth is not expected back until fall."

The Shargio, Smokers Best, and Zens all have the same plant code on the boxes. I expect the shortage is hitting the plant not the brand. For a Zen Light 100 replacement you might try lilbrown , they are claiming in stock with the Smokers Best 100's in both light and FF.

Meflin
meflin
Medium Smoker

Postby mgzinia » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:14 pm

I really like these. The ff kings, I mean. Not shabby construction, and, they did come in 250 count boxes, which I like. 200 count is like some way of likening me to those who wont even try to MYO. 250 says "Mgzinia has arrived-he calls 250 a carton, not 200...because he blends his own he enjoys these more, and because he uses these tubes, he settles for no less than the best in quantity either."
mgzinia
Tobacco Tax Survivalist

Postby DougE » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:29 am

I picked up a box of the red kings at my local B&M yesterday and I find this interesting considering what's been posted previously in this thread. It's a 200 count box marked 20mm filters made in the USA.

Aside from the graphics, the tipping paper is slightly longer than a Hotrod and the construction of the box itself is close, but there are slight differences ...... I'm thinking GMT is making these now.
There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live. ~ Moliere
DougE
Site Admin

Postby mgzinia » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Am scared to try the new ones...heard they aren't as good as they were, but not wanting to start rumors here...have you tried both Doug?
mgzinia
Tobacco Tax Survivalist

Postby DougE » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:22 am

mgzinia wrote:Am scared to try the new ones...heard they aren't as good as they were, but not wanting to start rumors here...have you tried both Doug?

No I never had occasion to try the 250 count boxed ones since my shop just got Shargio tubes in stock for the first time this week. If the old 250 count boxes were the same as Zens, than I don't see a whole lot of difference between the new ones and the Zens.

I quit buying tubes online way back when my local B&M was taken over by new owners that were willing to order stuff I asked them to and they have stocked Zens ever since, but have recently added Hotrod, Shargio and Laramie to the shelves (I may have had something to do with that too lol). At any rate, I find the afore mentioned tubes to be pretty much interchangeable according to my tastes.
There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live. ~ Moliere
DougE
Site Admin

Postby Kerry » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:12 am

DougE, I am envious. There are no B&M's in my area willing to order anything for me. They have what they have and I can either take it or leave it. Price point is their only target and even that is limited to very few brands on the lower end from tubes to tobacco.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Kerry
Light Smoker

Postby DougE » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:35 am

Kerry wrote:DougE, I am envious. There are no B&M's in my area willing to order anything for me. They have what they have and I can either take it or leave it. Price point is their only target and even that is limited to very few brands on the lower end from tubes to tobacco.

Yea, I'm lucky in that respect. The previous owner wasn't so accommodating, but the people that own it now have some interest in selling to the RYO folks and have actually looked into putting some filling stations in, but they are waiting to see how all that plays out in the courts first.

I made a few recommendations on tubes at first and some tobaccos later, which turned out to be best sellers for them, so they have no problem ordering anything I want out of their distributor's catalog. Now, if it's something their distributor doesn't carry, they won't go that far, but it's a better situation than most have.

They also know I've been involved in the online RYO communities for quite some time and have a pretty good idea what things are likely to be good sellers for them. (none of them are smokers BTW, so they have no idea).
DougE
Site Admin

Postby montiamo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:41 am

mrnjlw1090 wrote:The only difference I have found between Shargio and Zen is that Zen have a longer 17mm filter compared to the 15mm Shargio filter. Other than that they are basically the same...[snip]

For the past couple of months, I have been substituting my Zen's with the Shargio's 250ct. because they are cheaper and on par with Zen's; and also, they were available when the Zen's were not. Then I saw this notice on SOO for the 250ct. Shargio's:

Notice:
This product has been discontinued and the Red King are no longer available. (Blue King Available while supplies last.) The Manufacturer has switched to producing the tubes in the US and are now a 200 ct. box.

And the new 200ct. boxes (king only) have a 20mm filter!
These new tubes, now manufactured in the United States feature a 20mm filter and are available in a 200 ct. box.

Just thought I'd give you guys a 'heads-up' on this. I do hope the mfgr. of Zen tubes has worked out their supply problems.
montiamo
Light Smoker

Postby mrnjlw1090 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:41 am

If Shargio is now being made in the US, they are made by Great Midwest Tubes who are the same folks who make Hot Rod, 1839, and several others that I can't think of. Doesn't mean that they are worse or better, but I personally have always preferred tubes that come from St. Vincent. At least to me, taste and quality seems a lot better.
-Nick
I smoke because I like it!
Find me on You-tube at http://youtube.com/wolfen1057
mrnjlw1090
Purveyor of Custom Cigarette Packs

Postby CTsmoker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:44 am

Just picked up a box. These are from GMT. Just like Hot Rod Kings, the outside of the box shows lettering on the tube. Open up the box and, no lettering. Haven't smoked one yet, but the filters on these feel cheap/shoddy.
CTsmoker
admin team member

PreviousNext

Return to Cigarette Tubes